Monday, August 19, 2013

Overheard

Little old lady: So, what exactly is the universe?

Handsome middle-aged man: Exactly?

LOL: Like, is it at the end of imagination?

HMM: Well, the universe we talk about is all that was created by the big bang.

LOL: So it’s bigger than the milky way.

HMM: The milky way is just one galaxy. There are millions of them in the universe.. There’s also a theory of multiverses, that there are other universes. But since there is no communication between them, there’s really no way of knowing.

Long silence

LOL: I’m going to die in great ignorance.

HMM: So are we all.

LOL: But I will die more ignorant than you.

HMM: (Chuckles) Well I don’t know about that. You know more about other things.

LOL:  Hmmm....yes, I guess there’s such a thing as relevant ignorance. I don’t really care if I die not know anything about the universe. But I do care that I'll die never having learned Chinese. And when I’m dead, I don’t suppose I’ll care even about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment